Hello. We use cookies on this website
to help us and our partners improve
your browsing experience. More Info
Manage Cookies Close

Practical information following your loss

The days following the loss of a loved one can go by in a blur, with the event being amongst the most difficult you'll face in your lifetime.
The following is some practical, considered advice to aid you in dealing with the events following your loss.

Leaves pattern
Funeral flowers

What to do when a death occurs

If death occurs at home:

    You will need to contact their GP surgery or call the out of hours doctors on 111. The attending doctor will verify the death. Once the doctor has done this, you can contact us as your chosen Funeral Directors. Within the following days the GP will issue the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death, this will be needed to register the death.

If death occurs at Hospital:

    You will need to contact the bereavement office within the hospital. They will inform you when the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death is available for you to collect. Upon receipt of the certificate you will need to register the death at the registry office within the jurisdiction of where the death has occurred. You can then contact one of our dedicated funeral directors at F.P Gaunt & Sons Ltd.

If death occurs at a Nursing/Care Home:

    The Nursing Staff will inform a doctor who will attend the nursing home to verify the death. Either you or a staff member will then contact us as your nominated Funeral Directors. You will need to contact the GP Surgery to obtain the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death. Once receiving the certificate you can make an appointment to register the death at the registry office of your jurisdiction (by appointment only).

Help towards the cost of a funeral:

    You may be entitled to help from the Department of Work and Pensions towards the cost of the funeral, for more information regarding Bereavement Benefits please click here.
Leaves pattern

What should I do if a coroner becomes involved?

    If the deceased hasn’t seen their usual doctor for over 14 days the death will be reported to the coroner. The procedure is somewhat different in which no doctor will issue a medical certificate of cause of death. Instead, there are different options the coroner can take and they will liaise with you throughout their investigation. The death may also be referred to the coroner if there are any suspicious circumstances relating to the death. The coroner will inform you where and when to register the death and they will send any information to the registrars in advance. You can still contact us while this is taking place, so we can advise and assist you and go through any funeral arrangements you wish to make.
Flower border

Registration of a death

You will need to provide:

  • The Death Certificate
  • Full name
  • Date and place of birth
  • Occupation (or former occupation if retired)

If the deceased is a married woman, you will also need:

  • Maiden name
  • Husband’s full name and occupation

You will be issued with:

  • A white certificate (for the Department of Social Security)
  • A green certificate (for F.P. Gaunt & Sons)
Leaves pattern

Do you need someone to talk to?

We’re always available to talk and offer advice, but if you need someone to talk to about your grief sometimes a counsellor is the best choice. To find a counsellor in your area, you can search for one on Counselling Directory.

When a death occurs
and need to talk to someone,
call us on 0121 559 1062